- ×Show All
There are many ways to use OpenJSCAD:
NOTE : as of September 1 2018, we will NOT be accepting new PRS against the V1 / master branch: we realistically are not able to keep adding new features/fixes to the 'old' version and work on the very different V2. thank you for your comprehension ! (already open PRS at that date are exempt)
Table of Contents
There are different 'flavors' of OpenJscad that you can use based on your needs
- web: online (no install) simply go to https://openjscad.org/
- web: self hosted: can be found here
- cli: command line interface : can be found here
- desktop app: pre pre alpha work in progress can be found here!
- node.js: custom mix & match of modules
Immediate Use (no installation)
Go to OpenJSCAD.org (Tested browsers include Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari)
Use within a Web Site (pre built files, from github)
please see here for details
Use as Command Line Interface (CLI)
please see here for details
Use of the different modular components directly
From version 1.0.0 onwards, almost all the individual parts of this project are available directly as scoped NPM modules , and can be used independently from this repo. The full list of these is available here a here https://www.npmjs.com/org/jscad
One example of what can be achieved with this can be found here This means you can :
- easily create your own renderer for the CSG/Cag data structures
- create custom UIs
- use the different parts in Node.js or the Browser
- cherry pick what formats you want to use for input/output without needing the dependencies of all packages
- lots more !
This will be expanded upon in the future, and is the backbone of the newer, modular Jscad
Adding new features in CSG.js or other modules:
Since OpenJSCAD is made up of multiple dependent modules (csg.js, openscad-openjscad-translator etc), the easiest method is to use
npm linkto have a 'live' updating development version of OpenJSCAD:
- create a base directory
- clone this repository
git clone https://github.com/jscad/OpenJSCAD.org.git
- go into OpenJSCAD.org folder
- install dependencies
- if desired, make the
openjscadcommand refer to the code in this folder:
- if desired, start dev server:
npm run start-dev
Then, for example for CSG.js:
- go back to base directory
- clone CSG.js
git clone https://github.com/jscad/csg.js.git
- go into OpenJSCAD.org folder again
- now type
npm link ../csg.jsto make @jscad/csg refer to local ../csg.js.
You can now make changes to the CSG.js code and see it impact your locally running copy of OpenJSCAD live.
Please see the code and details in each package & their READMEs You can link up all the code for simple development using the following command
npm run bootstrap
- links up all the packages
- installs all of their dependencies
we also provide a few shortcuts for some of the specific subpackage to start development
npm run web // boostrap, go to the web UI package and start the dev server
npm run cli // bootstrap, go to the cli package
OpenJSCAD.org is part of the JSCAD Organization, and is maintained by a group of volunteers. We welcome and encourage anyone to pitch in but please take a moment to read the following guidelines.
We only accept bug reports and pull requests on GitHub.
If you have a change or new feature in mind, please start a conversation with the Core Developers and start contributing changes.
Small Note: If editing this README, please conform to the standard-readme specification.
See for more details
OpenJSCAD and its sub components are built upon great open source work, contribution & modules
- csg.js core & improvements by Evan Wallace, Eduard Bespalov, Joost Nieuwenhuijse, Alexandre Girard
and many more!
Thank you to all our backers! 🙏 [Become a backer]
Support this project by becoming a sponsor. Your logo will show up here with a link to your website. [Become a sponsor]
The MIT License (MIT) (unless specified otherwise)
Drag & drop a local file:
Drag & drop multiple files (Chrome & Firefox) or a folder (Chrome):
- OpenJsCAD, starting point of OpenJSCAD.org
- OpenSCAD.net, another place of inspiration, where the OpenSCAD translator was adapted from
- stl2pov to convert .stl to .pov, and then render via PovRay.org
- P3D STL/AMF/OBJ viewer
That's all for now,
Rene K. Mueller, Jeff Gay, Mark Moissette & JSCAD Organization